BY MARK SIMON, BOSTON RENEGADES STAFF
REVERE MA — Adrienne Smith made history when the Boston Renegades played the D.C. Divas this past Saturday, May 21st at Della Russo Stadium. The veteran wide receiver Smith set a new all-time record for receiving yards in the Women’s Football Alliance (WFA).
Smith needed 19 yards against the Divas to surpass Jeanette Gray of the Chicago Force (5,092) on the WFA’s all-time receiving yards list. After making three receptions earlier in the game, Smith caught the record-breaking pass from quarterback Allison Cahill in the third quarter. Smith also scored a touchdown on the play, her second of the game.
“I couldn’t be happier for Adrienne,” said Renegades team owner Molly Goodwin. “I feel fortunate to have had a front-row seat to watch her career — first as an opponent when she was with the New York Sharks, next as a teammate on the Boston Militia and Team USA, and now as a coach and team owner. And I can’t wait to see what she accomplishes next.”
Smith was surprised to learn of her achievement when it was announced over the loudspeakers to cheers from the stands and congratulatory hugs and high fives from teammates. “I am so glad I broke the record at a home game,” she said. “It was like a football fairy tale.”
The moment Adrienne Smith found out she broke the all time @WFAfootball receiving yards record… And she goes “who me?” Lol gotta love it! @GoRenegades pic.twitter.com/jqsDVSNgV0— Luis Sanchez (@Luis_MyW) May 22, 2022
Smith first joined the WFA in 2011 — her first year with Boston. She is in her tenth WFA season. Smith is a 4-time WFA National Champion and twice a gold medalist with the U.S. National Women’s Tackle Football Team. She won a WFA receiving yards title in 2016.
Originally from Alexandria, Va., Smith is a business owner and entrepreneur who makes her home in New York City.
Established in 2009, the WFA is in its 13th championship season. The league customarily plays an eight-game regular season with a three-round playoff, about half the length of an NFL season.
Smith’s Renegades are chasing a fourth consecutive WFA title and are on a winning streak of 28 games, which is the longest in league history.
WFA All-Time Receiving Yards List*
- 5094 Adrienne Smith (Boston Renegades)
- 5092 Jeanette Gray (Chicago Force, retired)
- 5049 Liz Sowers (Kansas City Titans, retired)
- 4779 Lisa King (Cali War)
- 4045 Jamie Fornal (Mile High Blaze, retired)
Broadcast announcers Luis Sanchez and Kathy Schwartz call the record-breaking play on FTFNext and RevereTV
Methodology and Verification
* The receivers’ career totals in the WFA were independently curated by Backseat Coach using all available online records including published articles, game summaries, videos, game film, and the WFA’s official online statistics repository at HostedSports.com. Because statistical records aren’t always complete, the career totals of an individual player may not always be 100% accurate. The statistical figures as reported by Backseat Coach are based on accessible information and are shared in good faith.